Sunday, November 22, 2009

Missed Connections

I scan the "Missed Connections" section of the local classifieds and regional Craigslist compulsively. It's not a habit I'm proud of; i never do it at work and I try to erase it from my computer's history. It's very strange, you see, because I'm not looking for a date, and I'm OK at making friends the old fashioned way. You know, by like meeting them at work and then maybe going out for coffee or something to bitch about the management or something.

But I cannot help myself when it comes to these ads, and I don't know why. I believe it has to do with the idea that someone might recognize something special in me, and care enough to try to find it. Or recognize me, and sum me up in a few short lines. Like this one, recently posted in Missoula.

OXYGEN MAN
Was hoping to get to know you better but now I am no longer caregiving lady you bring oxygen to. Did you notice I was gone? We talked about your chain saw injury, and you seemed like a nice guy.

So I'm scanning, I suppose, in the desperate hope of finding myself, summed up easily, maybe just like this. Redemption is sure to follow.

BLUE EYED GIRL
You were laughing a lot when I saw you at the coffee shop, but I noticed your shoulders were hunched, and your eyes were darting around, like you were staving off an ambush. Lets go sit in the sun somewhere, and I'll teach you how to breath, and remind you over and over that you're safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment