Monday, November 9, 2009

Recognition

For whatever reason, I love being recognized. I think it's because there's a part of me that's pretty sure I'm completely ineffective and invisible, so it's reassuring to have someone remember my face. One of my favorite things used to be going to the gym--I'm a little bit of a gym rat in the winter as you probably know--and having everyone at that grimy, dumpy place know me. "How are you?" they'd ask, and really mean it. "How's your knee doing?"

Recently, I made a pretty big shift and switched to a nicer, cleaner, gym. It's close to my house, not very expensive, and offers all sorts of classes. I'm really starting to regret my decision, though, even though I've been going for a few weeks nobody, not even the folks at the front desk, remember me. I'm just another sweaty face, another dripping body, another anxious girl running as hard as she can on the treadmill, wondering why she isn't getting anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment